- The Indian National Congress has always been the party that has reposed its confidence in youth.
- It was Rajiv Gandhi who gave all 18 year-olds the right to vote and it was he who declared Swami Vivekananda’s birthday on January 12th as National Youth Day.
- The IT revolution that has spread in our country has opened up whole new avenues for our youth.
- The Indian National Congress will design and launch a voluntary national youth corps which would enable young men and women in the age group of 18-23 to serve up to two years in constructive nation building activities for which they will be suitably compensated.
- The Indian National Congress will also make a beginning to induct youth into organs of government.
- As a beginning, it will reserve a proportion of seats in panchayats and nagarpalikas for men and women below the age of 35 years without detriment to the existing reservations for scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, OBCs and women
- The Indian National Congress has periodically renewed itself by inducting young men and women into the Party and entrusting them with responsibilities.
- Under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi, the Indian National Congress has launched a unique exercise to bring youth from all sections of society and all walks of life into the political mainstream through the Indian Youth Congress (IYC) and the National Students Union of India (NSUI).
For the very first time in any political party, there are hundreds of elected youth leaders in Punjab and Uttarakhand. This exercise has now taken place in almost the entire country.
This is a practical demonstration of the deep commitment of the Indian National Congress to open new political space and opportunities to our youth.
- The UPA Government has launched the Panchayat Yuva Khel aur Krida Abhiyan to promote sports and nurture talents at the block and village levels by ensuring universal access to basic sports infrastructure, a well-established annual sporting calendar and a National Rural Sports Programme.
- Nehru Yuva Kendras are being set up in all the remaining 123 districts.
- NSS is strengthened and almost doubled from 2.6 million to 5.1 million in the 11th Plan.
- A National Youth Corps (NYC) has been set up with a group of disciplined and dedicated youth for nation building.
- 20,000 volunteers enrolled under NYC, of which 8000 from Jammu & Kashmir and 12,000 in other states.
- Out of the first batch of 200 youth volunteers trained under the Youth
- Employability Skill Development project in the North -East, 164 youth volunteers have got placement.
- Another 1,069 youth are undergoing training under the project.
- Skill acquisition was introduced from 2011 as an additional component for 30,000 volunteers of National Service Scheme